Skip to main content

Karen Dunbar - Happy Days

Karen Dunbar didn't know much about Samuel Beckett's work before the Tron Theatre's artistic director Andy Arnold asked her to play Winnie in Happy Days, which opens next week as part of the theatre's Mayfesto season. Now, however, she's something of an expert on a play which at first glance looks like one of the oddest ever written.

“It's pretty left field,” says Dunbar, sitting in an upstairs meeting room at the Tron, all wrapped up in a warm coat and woolly hat as she sucks on an E-cigarette attached to a small cannister with the word 'zen' on the side. “I can't say I came to it as a big Beckett fan. Nah. I just said, Samuel Beckett He's a writer. Is he Irish? No, he's American. No, wait. So that would've been my answer on Who Wants to be A Millionaire? Now, of course, I could tell you what colour flannel he prefers wearing. I do enjoy studying, studying for a cause. I actually like reading random pish about nothing, anyway, so it's been really enjoyable, not only looking at Happy Days, but looking into his other work and to the man himself, and finding out about his influences and who he's influenced, I feel very much educated in it now.”

Written between 1960 and 1962 Happy Days finds Winnie buried up to her waist in sand as she chirrups her way through her daily routine while her husband Willie hides behind his paper, barely acknowledging her beyond the odd distracted exchange. By the second act, Winnie is buried up to her neck, but on she goes, however fragile her eternal optimism remains.

When Dunbar first read Happy Days, she did so with “one raised eyebrow through the bulk of it, but even from the first read I knew it was brilliant. I'm thinking I'm no' quite sure why yet, there are bits I don't understand, the intonation I cannae imagine, there are references I have no idea about, but even though at that point it was way over my head I could tell it was high quality stuff. Now, having really explored it, I go away and can get too deep sometimes over each syllable.”

Dunbar has been learning Beckett's script since January, working on two pages a day and writing her lines out by hand. This is something she always does when rehearsing a play.

“It puts it into a different space for me,” she says, “seeing it in my own hand-writing and having to concentrate on writing it out and punctuating it. It makes it a wee bit more tangible for me.”

Dunbar now has a very tangible seventy-six pages of Happy Days penned in her own hand, and by the time she began rehearsals had ninety-five per cent of it memorised.

“Usually I would just learn lines on the go, but I knew with something this size I wanted to be really prepared. See to come in knowing the lines to the degree that I do? What a joy.”

The last time Dunbar put herself on the line in such a way was in 2008, when she was about to revive her solo tour de force in A Drunk Woman Looks at the Thistle, novelist Denise Mina's female-fronted twenty-first century reboot of poet Hugh MacDiarmid's sozzled meditation on the Scottish psyche. Since then, Dunbar's theatrical career has combined stand-up, pantomime and TV comedy shows alongside more straight-up theatre with low-key regularity.

With the National Theatre of Scotland, Dunbar played the abused Rose in a revival of Quebecois writer Michel Tremblay's all-female tragi-comedy, The Guid Sisters, translated into Scots. More recently, she played Bardolph and Sir Richard Vernon in Phyllida Lloyd's all-female production of Shakespeare's Henry IV at the Donmar in London.

For Arnold, who as well as directing Happy Days will also be applying his own performing talents to the play's infinitely less vocal role of Willie, casting Dunbar was a no-brainer.

“I think Karen's an amazing performer,” Arnold says, “and she's perfect for Winnie. You have to remember that Beckett was a big fan of Laurel and Hardy and Charlie Chaplin, and that really comes through in his work. But there's a depth to that sort of comedy which Karen has as well.”

Dunbar was doing Henry IV when Arnold approached her.

“I remember telling Phyllida Lloyd,” she says, “and she's a lovely lady, and she's very honest. She told me she thought I'd be great at it, which was lovely to hear.”

Now she's immersed in all seventy-six hand-written pages of the play, Dunbar likes to describe Winnie as “a cock-eyed optimist, just because of South Pacific, but she is an eternal optimist. Not even in a denial kind of way, but I think she is genuinely cheered by what she tells herself, and she's cheered for the fleeting moment that she says it. That's enough to give her a wee boost.”

With comic turns from Max Wall to ex Comic Strip double act Rik Mayall and Adrian Edmondson having appeared in Beckett's work, this lightness in the play is ideal material for Dunbar to have fun with.

“Definitely,” she says, “and hopefully that's gonnae be an asset for me, being able to bring the humour into it. There's such darkness in it. There's such sadness, so I feel like I've got a bit of responsibility as well, to make sure it's the right level of humour, that it doesn't become a caricature, but that it's believable, because I want it to be the same when it comes to the dark stuff. I think it's hard sometimes for somebody that's known for comedy when they do a serious role. You say a line like 'all my family are dead' and the audience are waiting for a laugh.

“That can be a bit of a challenge for me, not, hopefully, in trying to portray the seriousness, but in trying to step a wee bit away from what people know me as. It was great doing Shakespeare in London, because there's no frame of reference there for audiences with what I've done before. So I can play a funny part and a serious part with hopefully the same sincerity.

“Comedy's a huge deflector,” Dunbar says, pointing to her portrayal of Rose in The Guid Sisters, “and it's a great relief sometimes as well. I quote it often, but what is laughter but making the unbearable bearable. The majority of comedians, there's always a sadness underneath. It's why the comic character comes out of a person in the first place, as a balm for the pain.

“Oh,” she says, “without missing a beat, “that was awfully deep,”.

Happy Days, Tron Theatre, Glasgow, May 15-23

 
The Herald, May 4th 2015

ends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a café on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Big Gold Dreams – A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989

Disc 1 1. THE REZILLOS (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (12/77)  2. THE EXILE Hooked On You (8/77) 3. DRIVE Jerkin’ (8/77) 4. VALVES Robot Love (9/77) 5. P.V.C. 2 Put You In The Picture (10/77) 6. JOHNNY & THE SELF ABUSERS Dead Vandals (11/77) 7. BEE BEE CEE You Gotta Know Girl (11/77) 8. SUBS Gimme Your Heart (2/78) 9. SKIDS Reasons (No Bad NB 1, 4/78) 10. FINGERPRINTZ Dancing With Myself (1/79)  11. THE ZIPS Take Me Down (4/79) 12. ANOTHER PRETTY FACE All The Boys Love Carrie (5/79)  13. VISITORS Electric Heat (5/79) 14. JOLT See Saw (6/79) 15. SIMPLE MINDS Chelsea Girl (6/79) 16. SHAKE Culture Shock (7/79) 17. HEADBOYS The Shape Of Things To Come (7/79) 18. FIRE EXIT Time Wall (8/79) 19. FREEZE Paranoia (9/79) 20. FAKES Sylvia Clarke (9/79) 21. TPI She’s Too Clever For Me (10/79) 22. FUN 4 Singing In The Showers (11/79) 23. FLOWERS Confessions (12/79) 24. TV21 Playing With Fire (4/80) 25. ALEX FERGUSSON Stay With Me Tonight (1980) 1. THE REZILL