Skip to main content

Simon Fisher-Turner - Portrait of the Artist as a Consumer

Simon Fisher Turner is a composer and musician who recently appeared at Tramway, Glasgow, performing at Alexandre Perigot’s exhibition, Pipedream, inside a life-size recreation of Elvis Presley’s former home, Gracelands. Fisher-Turner’s first album was produced by Jonathan King, and he later worked with Derek Jarman, composing soundtracks for The Last Of England, The Garden, Edward II and Blue. He briefly played with The The, and has released a string of albums under a variety of names, including his own. He provided scores for Croupier, directed by Mike Hodges, and was nominated for an Oscar for Anna Campion’s feature, Loaded. His most recent album, Lana, Lara, Lata, was released on Mute Records in 2005


How did you get to Gracelands?
I’ve worked with Alexandre for a few years. He comes up with these crazy ideas I half understand, then go and do something with them. We once did a project called Fanclubbing in a deserted arts centre in Marseille, and by the end we had a whole album. This is the same. It’ll be noise. No noise. Some noise. In one way or another it’ll work, but I can’t guarantee what it’ll sound like. It’s kind of like plunderphonics, using stuff from all over the world, so it tends to work at the drop of a map.

Film soundtracks, art projects and dance scores. Your music lends itself to other arenas. Accident or design?
My life has generally been an accident. I’ve never had a grand plan and I’m always stuck for ideas. I’m incapable of doing the same thing twice. It’s not in my personality to repeat myself. I can’t even remember lyrics. I’ve got no idea, because I’ve got no ideas.

Lana, Lara, Lata works with sound in relation to colour. Brian Eno has produced similar work. Ambient or just obscure?
I’m never sure about ambient, but I’ve an idea for an album. There’s a restaurant I go to in London, and Harold Pinter’s always in there. I always hear him talking to people, and he has such a distinctive voice I thought I’d tape him without him knowing until I’ve got all these recordings, then do something with them. No-one has to hear him clearly, and no-one has to know it’s Harold Pinter, but his voice is so intriguing it’ll be a good place for me to start thinking about things.

Musical epiphanies?
Terry Riley, David Bowie, The Sex Pistols, Throbbing Gristle. They changed my life. I’ve also seen everyone you’ve never heard of. My first gig was Stray and Rare Bird at The Record Mirror Olympia Festival. I saw The Sex Pistols at the ridiculous Screen On The Green show. Johnny Rotten was amazing. The first time I saw Throbbing Gristle I was terrified and wanted to run away. Seeing them at The Tate recently I wanted them to be unbearable again, but it was so listenable it was ridiculous. Now I listen to Throbbing Gristle while I’m washing the floor.

Choir boy. Child actor. Teeny-bopper idol. Growing up in public?
I was in this BBC series called The Silver Sword. One of the actors introduced me to Jonathan King, and Jonathan must’ve thought, ‘pretty young boy, blue eyes, blond hair. Let’s make him Britain’s answer to David Cassidy.’ It didn’t work, but when you’re 15 years-old and someone wants to make an album with you, it’s amazing. It was awful, but it was fun. I was on telly a lot, and chased by girls who wanted to sleep with me. There was no AIDS, and it was a very promiscuous time. There was a lot of sex. With girls. It’s the same today, whether it’s with Take That or any of the new guitar bands. They’re all manufactured.

Your soundtracks for Derek Jarman again bridged the visual and the aural.
It was punk time, and everything was wide open. I’d just been The Green Cross Code boy on three public safety ads, didn’t have a job, and ended up working on The Tempest. You put Derek’s visuals in front of you, the like of which you’ve never seen before, and he gave you the space to do anything you liked.

What new music are you listening to?
The new Bjork album’s fantastic. Alva Noto, which is Ryuichi Sakamoto and Carsten Nicolai. I still like my minimal electronics, but too much of it isn’t a good thing. Cocorosie’s album’s good. There Thaemlitz is a transgendered guy who lives in Japan and does this stuff called Fag Jazz. He can’t play, and it’s all wrong, but it’s the most exciting electronic music I’ve heard for years. But I’m not a purist, and I loved The Beatles Love album. As Derek said, who cares about old buildings? Pull ‘em down and build ‘em new ones.

Seizing the means of production?
There’s a lot of experimental and ambient stuff, but a lot of it is very bad. You can tell what equipment everybody’s got. There’s a lot of people making music now who shouldn’t. As soon as someone does something new now they give it a name. Glitch? Who cares?

What art do you have on your walls?
I’ve got a piece by Barry Flanagan, who sculpts these awful bronze leaping hares, but I’ve got some plain monochrome canvasses he did in the 60s. I’ve got two kids, so I’ve got a lot of their pictures on the wall. I wish I had one of Derek’s paintings, but he’s given me enough already, and you can’t have everything.

You’ve recorded as The King Of Luxembourg, Loveletter, Monday Sinclair, Deux Filles, Jeremy’s Secret, Bad Dream Fancy Dress and Kendall Turner Overdrive. Who’s Simon Fisher-Turner now?
I’m lost. Lost in fatherhood. Lost in producing a new album. Lost with technology. I tried chopping up everything I’ve ever done, and made a 45 minute collage of my musical life so far, but I’ve not done anything with it yet.

Favourite Elvis song?
Heartbreak Hotel, but that’s because John Cale’s version was so good. Elvis’s voice was amazing, but what a beautifully mismanaged man.

Simon Fisher-Turner will be taking part in The Istanbul Biennial with Alexandre Perigot in September

www.myspace.com/simonfisherturner

MAP issue 11, July 2008

ends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a café on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Big Gold Dreams – A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989

Disc 1 1. THE REZILLOS (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (12/77)  2. THE EXILE Hooked On You (8/77) 3. DRIVE Jerkin’ (8/77) 4. VALVES Robot Love (9/77) 5. P.V.C. 2 Put You In The Picture (10/77) 6. JOHNNY & THE SELF ABUSERS Dead Vandals (11/77) 7. BEE BEE CEE You Gotta Know Girl (11/77) 8. SUBS Gimme Your Heart (2/78) 9. SKIDS Reasons (No Bad NB 1, 4/78) 10. FINGERPRINTZ Dancing With Myself (1/79)  11. THE ZIPS Take Me Down (4/79) 12. ANOTHER PRETTY FACE All The Boys Love Carrie (5/79)  13. VISITORS Electric Heat (5/79) 14. JOLT See Saw (6/79) 15. SIMPLE MINDS Chelsea Girl (6/79) 16. SHAKE Culture Shock (7/79) 17. HEADBOYS The Shape Of Things To Come (7/79) 18. FIRE EXIT Time Wall (8/79) 19. FREEZE Paranoia (9/79) 20. FAKES Sylvia Clarke (9/79) 21. TPI She’s Too Clever For Me (10/79) 22. FUN 4 Singing In The Showers (11/79) 23. FLOWERS Confessions (12/79) 24. TV21 Playing With Fire (4/80) 25. ALEX FERGUSSON Stay With Me Tonight (1980) 1. THE REZILL