Skip to main content

Hannah Lavery - Scotland, You’re No Mine

Hannah Lavery didn’t choose the title of ‘Scotland, You’re No Mine’, the Edinburgh International Book Festival event the capital’s recently appointed Makar takes part in at the end of the month. The title comes from the name of one of the key poems in Blood Salt Spring(2022), Lavery’s debut full-length collection, and is one of the oldest poems in the book. 

 

‘Scotland, You’re No Mine’’s evocation of Lavery’s love/hate relationship with the country she lives in had already appeared in slightly different forms, both in Lavery’s pamphlet, Finding Seaglass: Poems from The Drift(2019), and in her poetic drama, The Drift(2018) itself. The poem has also become one of her most popular works, being named in 2019 as one of Scotland’s favourite poems.

 

“It's a poem that people often request of me,” says Lavery, “so it’s obviously had a resonance, but I suppose it’s quite a big poem, in that it's talking about colonialism, Scotland's history and it’s place within that, but within it as well, there is a kind of a thread of the personal. It's a love poem. It's about vulnerability, and it's about wanting to belong, and the hurt of that. 

 

“I think that a lot of my work is exploring the hurt of not belonging, or at least this collection is, I think, and having nowhere else to go to. As a woman of colour in Scotland, I always remember getting told to go back to where I come from, and I'd be like, I don't know where that is, and almost kind of hoping that they would tell me, like, Oh, I'd love to know, can you can you tell me where it is I belong, because that would be nice? 

 

“What I realised with doing The Driftis that feeling of not belonging is a feeling that everyone understands. Everyone has a memory or a feeling or a knowledge or an understanding of the pain of not belonging.”

 

One of the comebacks of the poem came when Open Book, the organisation which runs shared reading and creative writing sessions, passed out Lavery’s poem to various groups, inviting written responses of their own.

 

“That’s been amazing, seeing all these different responses to the poem, but for me, it’s a love poem, and it’s a love poem to Scotland. I think most people who read it get that.”

 

Blood Salt Spring is dedicated to Beldina Odenyo, aka Heir of the Cursed, the remarkable singer and songwriter who provided the score for Lavery’s play, Lament for Sheku Bayoh, and who sadly passed away in 2021, aged 31. A poem for Odenyo, ‘Leaves Fall Gold’, forms one of Blood Salt Spring’s most poignant moments. While there is much grief and anger elsewhere in the book’s three sections, there is a lot of love as well, and by the end it feels like some kind of a purging.

 

My love of Scotland is always going to have a little bit of an edge to it,” says Lavery, “but the Makarship is definitely a welcoming in. I think I've always felt like I've been at the window rather than inside. 

 

“I think the heart of my work is belonging, whether that is just very personally with grief, or whether that's bigger about country, or whether that's belonging in the room, and how you talk about yourself. So I think my work is probably at its heart about that feeling; it’s about belonging, and the pain of not belonging, and the longing to belong. 

It’s deeply vulnerable, I suppose, because of that. But, you know, I suppose art is really, or maybe mine is.” 

 

 

Hannah Lavery appears at Edinburgh International Book Festival as part of Quines Cast: Live, Wee Red Bar, 17 August, 8.30-10.00pm; and Hannah Lavery: Scotland, You’re No’ Mine, chaired by Marjorie Lotfi of Open Book, 26 August, 12.15-1.15pm. Blood Salt Springis published by Polygon.


The List, August 2022

 

ends

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a cafĂ© on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Big Gold Dreams – A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989

Disc 1 1. THE REZILLOS (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (12/77)  2. THE EXILE Hooked On You (8/77) 3. DRIVE Jerkin’ (8/77) 4. VALVES Robot Love (9/77) 5. P.V.C. 2 Put You In The Picture (10/77) 6. JOHNNY & THE SELF ABUSERS Dead Vandals (11/77) 7. BEE BEE CEE You Gotta Know Girl (11/77) 8. SUBS Gimme Your Heart (2/78) 9. SKIDS Reasons (No Bad NB 1, 4/78) 10. FINGERPRINTZ Dancing With Myself (1/79)  11. THE ZIPS Take Me Down (4/79) 12. ANOTHER PRETTY FACE All The Boys Love Carrie (5/79)  13. VISITORS Electric Heat (5/79) 14. JOLT See Saw (6/79) 15. SIMPLE MINDS Chelsea Girl (6/79) 16. SHAKE Culture Shock (7/79) 17. HEADBOYS The Shape Of Things To Come (7/79) 18. FIRE EXIT Time Wall (8/79) 19. FREEZE Paranoia (9/79) 20. FAKES Sylvia Clarke (9/79) 21. TPI She’s Too Clever For Me (10/79) 22. FUN 4 Singing In The Showers (11/79) 23. FLOWERS Confessions (12/79) 24. TV21 Playing With Fire (4/80) 25. ALEX FERGUSSON Stay With Me Tonight (1980) 1. THE REZILL