Skip to main content

Claire M Singer - Saor - Breaking Free

When Claire M Singer was told about an organ in Forgue Kirk, close to the Aberdeenshire village where she was brought up, it opened up a world of possibilities for the composer who also works as music director of the organ at Union Chapel in London. Drawing inspiration from her walks in the Cairngorms, the result is Saor, the first of a planned triptych of albums released on the experimentally inclined Touch label. 

 

Having begun her musical life as a cellist and composition student, Singer fell for the organ after experimenting with stops and pedals in a way that saw her manipulating air rather than play the instrument in a conventional fashion. Rather than producing something wilfully arid or austere, there is an emotional warmth to Singer’s work on both Saor and her previous Touch releases that began in 2016 with Solas. This reflects her response to the source of her inspiration.  

 

The most natural thing for me to do when I get home is to get in the car and drive to Lochnagar and to Loch Muick and to just walk around,’ Singer says. “Being in that area, I just feel completely myself. For me, that has always been the fuel for me to survive. Obviously, that place, and the Cairngorms, and climbing just inspires me most of all.’

Tracks on Saor (pronounced Sieur, as in ‘Monsieur’) are named after Munros that Singer has climbed, with little interludes between exploring the mechanics of her instrument. The album’s title track, meanwhile, is a just shy of twenty-five minute epic that translates from Scottish Gaelic as ‘Free’.

 

This was a commission by arts and music charity, The Richard Thomas Foundation, and was recorded in one take at Orgelpark, the Amsterdam based concert hall for organists. With the centre containing numerous organs, Singer ran between five instruments to create the piece.

 

I think I got my steps in that day,” she says of the experience in a place she describes as “Disneyland for organists.” 

 

Singer is possibly best known to many for her soundtrack to Annabel Jankel’s 2018 film based on Fiona Shaw’s novel, Tell it to the Bees.

 

It was probably the steepest learning curve of my life musically, just because I had to learn on the job, and also it was such a different kind of ballgame, because I'm such a long form composer, and then I was given thirty-two seconds. I'm usually just taking breath at this point.’

 

It is Saor, however, on which Singer literally pulls out all the stops.

 

In my studio in London, all I've got on the walls are pictures of Munros, and photos that I've taken when I've been walking. I don't know what it is. It's just in me, and I feel like my music that comes out is completely informed by those experiences, and by those memories of being on top of them, looking out all by myself and feeling that feeling of being free. Which is why the album's called ‘Free’.’

 

 

Saor by Claire M Singer is released by Touch on CD and digitally on 3rdNovember. The album is launched at Orgelpark, Amsterdam, 11thNovember.


The List, November 2023

 

ends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a café on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Big Gold Dreams – A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989

Disc 1 1. THE REZILLOS (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (12/77)  2. THE EXILE Hooked On You (8/77) 3. DRIVE Jerkin’ (8/77) 4. VALVES Robot Love (9/77) 5. P.V.C. 2 Put You In The Picture (10/77) 6. JOHNNY & THE SELF ABUSERS Dead Vandals (11/77) 7. BEE BEE CEE You Gotta Know Girl (11/77) 8. SUBS Gimme Your Heart (2/78) 9. SKIDS Reasons (No Bad NB 1, 4/78) 10. FINGERPRINTZ Dancing With Myself (1/79)  11. THE ZIPS Take Me Down (4/79) 12. ANOTHER PRETTY FACE All The Boys Love Carrie (5/79)  13. VISITORS Electric Heat (5/79) 14. JOLT See Saw (6/79) 15. SIMPLE MINDS Chelsea Girl (6/79) 16. SHAKE Culture Shock (7/79) 17. HEADBOYS The Shape Of Things To Come (7/79) 18. FIRE EXIT Time Wall (8/79) 19. FREEZE Paranoia (9/79) 20. FAKES Sylvia Clarke (9/79) 21. TPI She’s Too Clever For Me (10/79) 22. FUN 4 Singing In The Showers (11/79) 23. FLOWERS Confessions (12/79) 24. TV21 Playing With Fire (4/80) 25. ALEX FERGUSSON Stay With Me Tonight (1980) 1. THE REZILL