Skip to main content

Laura Aldridge – Lawnmower

Homeliness is where the heart is in Lawnmower, Laura Aldridge’s domestically inclined new commission and accompanying exhibition that has just opened as part of Jupiter Artland’s 2024 summer season. You can see it in the Edinburgh sculpture park’s Steadings Gallery, where hand crafted love seats are given the names You & Me I (2024), You & Me II (2024), You & Me III (2024). These are watched over by a series of wall mounted globe lights in coloured skirts that – with names like Housework (Ultra Vivid Scene (2024), and We too form a multitude (my brain is everywhere) (2024) - give the lights the air of blank faced disembodied doll heads.

 

The seats themselves are decorated with ornaments that offer up appealingly tactile armrests that allow the sitter to view three screens beaming out seventeen-minute video installation, Go Wo Mango! (2024). This was made by Aldridge in collaboration with fellow artists Juliana Capes, Morwenna Kearsley and Sarah McFadyen, with a soundtrack formed from a set of newly composed songs given voice by Capes.

 

Beyond the Steadings, in the garden beside the Ballroom gallery, A Cosmic Reset (2024) is a working fountain made of a tower of wildly painted giant ceramic shells. The effect of all this is both decorative and functional in a display set against a riot of bright colours that adorn the Steadings floor and walls in a way that makes it feel like a wonkily eccentric living room.

 

Aldridge is used to working in similarly inclined domestic settings by way of Sculpture House, the Paisley based centre the Guildford born artist co-founded with fellow sculptors Nick Evans and James Rigler. Having stumbled on the then derelict local authority owned former social work building in Paisley’s Ferguslie Park area, the trio set about transforming it into a studio and workshop space.

 

While not quite as grand as Jupiter Artland, Sculpture House  as bright as the ideas that radiate from Aldridge in Lawnmower, the starting point of which came from a collaboration between Sculpture House and The Secret Collection, Paisley Museum’s extensive archive of objects and artefacts reflecting Renfrewshire’s heritage. Thousands of items are accessible to the public in a high street shop front that opens out onto a wonderland of the everyday. A ceramic doll in particular inspired Aldridge’s work.

 

“It’s strange,” says Aldridge, sitting in the sunshine of the Ballroom garden as water ripples from A Cosmic Reset across the lawn, “because my work is not figurative at all, but the doll just resonated. I think the body is often suggested in my work, but this figurine was just so different that it spoke to me. For the longest time it was just a picture on my studio wall, and I just sort of let it percolate, then before you know it, it's kind of seeping in to what I’m doing.”

 

A tantalising sense of impermanence pulses throughout Aldridge’s work in Lawnmower. As with the video work with her collaborators, rather than remaining untouchable, it invites outside influences to keep things forever changing.

 

If I gave you one of those lights you could change the bulb,” Aldridge points out, “and I quite like that the work is completed by the person that owns it. It doesn't have to always be that colour, and the work changes when the light’s off. I really like the fact that things are never quite finished, and have a life beyond me. I’m sort of interested in the conversation of it once it leaves me. Even with the fountain, the fact that the water is constantly refreshing, and the chairs as well, with the little ornamental sculptures on. At some point the wood might get knackered, and everything seems to be in a state of flux. 

 

“It's not that they're not finished,” Aldridge continues, “but it's this idea that something could keep developing into whatever follows on from it. It's a thing of wanting it to feel alive, almost.”

 

With happiness a theme of Jupiter Artland’s summer programme this year, the zest for life that pours from Aldridge’s work fits in well with what looks akin to something of a home from home.

 

“I think the reason I make things is because it makes me feel good,” says Aldridge. “It makes me feel better, and helps me process things. It's not to say my art is my therapy, but I need my work to be this place where I can uplift my self. It's taken me a really long time to be okay with that. Sometimes, colour and joy and all those things tend to be thought of as frivolous and not weighty, but I think they are really important. 

 

“I've done a lot of teaching recently, and for young people it's a really tough time for everything. The world feels like it's falling apart, and for a young person to try and navigate their way through that I think is really hard. So, as an antidote to that, I think it’s good to recognise that joy is important and colours are important.”

 

This is something Aldridge only recognised once she had left the trappings of art school behind.

 

“When I was studying you kind of get everything knocked out of you,” she says. “You’re told it’s stupid and wrong, and colour was one of the things when I finished my MA that just sort of fell out my practice, because I was made to feel like it was quite frivolous and unnecessary. And then you sort of realise, oh no, it's really important, especially in art. It's such a strange thing. But yeah, I need it.”

Lawnmower runs at Jupiter Artland until 29thSeptember and as part of Edinburgh Art Festival’s twentieth birthday year.


Scottish Art News, May 2024

 

ends

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a café on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Edinburgh Rocks – The Capital's Music Scene in the 1950s and Early 1960s

Edinburgh has always been a vintage city. Yet, for youngsters growing up in the shadow of World War Two as well as a pervading air of tight-lipped Calvinism, they were dreich times indeed. The founding of the Edinburgh International Festival in 1947 and the subsequent Fringe it spawned may have livened up the city for a couple of weeks in August as long as you were fans of theatre, opera and classical music, but the pubs still shut early, and on Sundays weren't open at all. But Edinburgh too has always had a flipside beyond such official channels, and, in a twitch-hipped expression of the sort of cultural duality Robert Louis Stevenson recognised in his novel, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, a vibrant dance-hall scene grew up across the city. Audiences flocked to emporiums such as the Cavendish in Tollcross, the Eldorado in Leith, The Plaza in Morningside and, most glamorous of all due to its revolving stage, the Palais in Fountainbridge. Here the likes of Joe Loss and Ted Heath broug