Skip to main content

Greg Hicks - Angels in America

Greg Hicks doesn’t so much walk into a room as slink. The black polo neck he’s wearing accentuates his feline qualities as he pads into The Citizens Theatre’s foyer, eyeing up the territory as he bites into an apple with slow determination, eyes flickering curiously onto its core at what dangerous knowledge might be contained within the next bite.

As entrances go, it’s poised enough to suggest a man used to holding court. That this most singular actor’s back catalogue of theatrical statesman has included Coriolanus, Tamburlaine and Macbeth confirms this. Now, though, Hicks is flexing his muscles to play an even nastier character in a major revival of Tony Kushner’s mammoth two part epic, Angels In America.

In a play that charts the rise of AIDS in 1980s New York that defined an era when it premiered in 1992, Hicks plays notorious lawyer Roy Cohn. Cohn came to prominence during the McCarthyite anti-Communist purges in the 1950s before becoming a top flight attorney and conservative associate of Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan.

Kushner’s portrayal of Cohn, who died of AIDS in 1984, is that of a self-serving hypocrite with few redeeming features. Getting the measure of Cohn’s monstrous personality without slipping into pantomime parody is a challenge Hicks is squaring up to in this major co-production between The Citz, Headlong Theatre and The Lyric Hammersmith with typical sound and fury.

“The audience hated him,” Hicks says a few days after last week’s previews of Part One. “He comes in and out with this extraordinary elegant bile, and is a man who is totally false to who he really is. ‘I am not a homosexual’, he says over and over again. It’s wonderful to play someone so quintessentially and brilliantly dark, but I haven’t quite got the measure of him yet. I haven’t opened up the charm box enough.”

Given Cohn’s history, charm isn’t an attribute that immediately springs to mind.

“Everybody knew he was corrupt,” Hicks says, but he clearly had a brilliant skill, partly because he was so ruthless, but also because he was very driven to do what his father did. His father was a judge.”

Fathers’ influence on their sons’ work is something Hicks recognises first hand, as he’ll make clear later. In terms of Angels In America, though, “The last sort of dark character I played like that was Macbeth, but Macbeth has some self-knowledge about what he's doing, which is what drives him so completely mad. Roy Cohn simply doesn't have that. Not in the way Kushner's written him anyway. He is what he is, and he won't admit a fundamental truth about himself. There's a toxicity to this part. I've played lots of difficult people - Coriolanus, Tamburlaine, Macbeth - all three of whom are very difficult men. But this guy is irredeemably dark. Clearly Kushner felt he was a monster. But then writers love monsters.”

As Hicks has already observed, he’s well-known for being cast as troubled tyrants. These are usually men to be found venting their spleen in the classical canon, so even the idea of seeing Hicks in a contemporary play, however poetic and fantastical, feels like a departure in itself.

“The trouble is with playing those characters,” says Hicks, “is that there are very few glimpses of real vulnerability. There are still huge doors that open to psychological vulnerability and complexity. Which really, to be quite honest with you, only happens in glimpses in this.”

Hicks first made a name for himself at The Citz in 1990 when he stepped in as last-minute replacement for Richard Harris in Enrico 1V, Pirandello’s play about a mad-man who believes himself to be king. Hicks returned several times as part of Prowse’s loose-knit ensemble in typically flamboyant productions of Tennessee Williams’ The Milk Train Doesn’t Stop Here Anymore through to Craig Raine’s verse play, 1953.

You can see why Hicks’ sense of physical self-possession would fit in with Prowse’s visually European approach. Hicks was practicing Yoga long before the current vogue for more muscular accompaniments to the great speeches. He also practices Capoeira, a Brazilian dance form he calls “my passion” and has used Japanese Butoh techniques into performances.

“What I’m interested in,” he says, “is a style of acting that’s not from the neck upwards. It’s actually more personal than that. It’s not that I want to have physical theatre. It’s actually just the way I am as a person.”

Hicks’ individual approach has singled him out ever since he joined The Royal Shakespeare Company after a stint at drama school that put strains on his relationship with a father who’d put him through an expensive education in Rutland. It was here he first caught the acting bug after a millionaire ex student funded the building of a replica of Shakespeare’s Globe Theatre. An enlightened English teacher cast the young Hicks in Twelfth night, and “I never quite got over it. I knew I’d come home. I knew that’s what I really ought to be doing. I was going to try and be a lawyer or an accountant or a Corporal or something, but I knew this was what I should be doing.”

Hick’s father, a self-made market trader from London’s east end who moved to Leicester after flying Lancaster bombers, was mortified.

“It wasn’t really what he wanted me to do,” says Hicks. “He didn’t see acting as a proper job. He thought it was a bit namby. It’s like something George C Scott said, that acting isn’t a job for a grown man. That was my Dad, and out of the 30 years I’ve been doing this, it took 20 of those years for him to really come to terms with the fact that that was what I’d chosen to do. It meant a lot to me, that turnaround, actually. Because for many years it was very painful. I felt I’d let him down. Now, he’s my staunchest ally, and somewhat fiercest critic. He gives me marks out of ten sometimes. He’s 96, my Dad, and he’s sharp. ‘Too much acting, Son’ he’ll say. ‘Be more natural.’ He became like a sort of boxing manager, my Dad.”

Enrico 1V was major turning point for both men. Only then did Hicks senior finally realise his boy was onto something. Hicks junior too, took a leap from his seven years at the RSC, four at the National Theatre and other work with major directors.

“The Citz was catalystic for a major gear shift in my career,” he says. “Up until that point I’d done very well. But something happened to me here in this building. There was a maverick, expansive quality under Phillip’s wing, that really let me fly into some other area. I lived more dangerously as an actor, and I think people saw me in a slightly different light. I was crazy. My talent was let out a bit. I would say 1990 was a very significant moment in my working life, really. Since then, it’s just piled one thing on top of another, really.”

Angels In America is a kind of homecoming for Hicks, who these days stays young via work with a new generation of younger directors, including David Farr, and, for Angels In America, Daniel Kramer.

“If I believe in something,” Hicks says, “I’ll throw myself into it completely, and I very much believe in this man. I’ve been very lucky, meeting and working with the people I have. Here I am at 53, working with Daniel, who’s not yet 30, and it’s just great, it’s like, I should be so lucky. Because there’s something Greek going on in Angels In America. You can feel it,” he says, wolfing down the last of his apple. “It’s cosmic.”

Angels In America, Part One, Millennium Approaches, May 1, 3, 5, 8, 10, 12; Part Two, Perestroika, May 2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 12, Citizens Theatre, Glasgow

The Herald, May 1st 2007

ends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a café on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Big Gold Dreams – A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989

Disc 1 1. THE REZILLOS (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (12/77)  2. THE EXILE Hooked On You (8/77) 3. DRIVE Jerkin’ (8/77) 4. VALVES Robot Love (9/77) 5. P.V.C. 2 Put You In The Picture (10/77) 6. JOHNNY & THE SELF ABUSERS Dead Vandals (11/77) 7. BEE BEE CEE You Gotta Know Girl (11/77) 8. SUBS Gimme Your Heart (2/78) 9. SKIDS Reasons (No Bad NB 1, 4/78) 10. FINGERPRINTZ Dancing With Myself (1/79)  11. THE ZIPS Take Me Down (4/79) 12. ANOTHER PRETTY FACE All The Boys Love Carrie (5/79)  13. VISITORS Electric Heat (5/79) 14. JOLT See Saw (6/79) 15. SIMPLE MINDS Chelsea Girl (6/79) 16. SHAKE Culture Shock (7/79) 17. HEADBOYS The Shape Of Things To Come (7/79) 18. FIRE EXIT Time Wall (8/79) 19. FREEZE Paranoia (9/79) 20. FAKES Sylvia Clarke (9/79) 21. TPI She’s Too Clever For Me (10/79) 22. FUN 4 Singing In The Showers (11/79) 23. FLOWERS Confessions (12/79) 24. TV21 Playing With Fire (4/80) 25. ALEX FERGUSSON Stay With Me Tonight (1980) 1. THE REZILL