Skip to main content

Rachel O'Riordan - Perth Theatre

Rachel O' Riordan may have only taken up her post as creative director
for theatre of Horsecross Arts at Perth Theatre two months ago, but,
swishing into the building's foyer on a Thursday afternoon, she already
looks like she owns the place. Indeed, as O'Riordan announces details
of her first season at the venue, as well she might. Because, with this
dynamic thirty-something Northern Irish woman at the helm, what is
regarded as one of Scotland's more traditionally minded theatres might
just about to undergo a very quiet revolution.

Not that O'Riordan doesn't have a commercial track record, even if her
best known works with Ransom, the company she co-founded to produce her
actor husband Richard Dormer's play about snooker player Alex Higgins,
Hurricane, and the decidedly odd The Gentleman's Tea Drinking Society,
are studio pieces. One should bear in mind too, however, that while
Hurricane began life in an eighty-seat venue before becoming an
Edinburgh Festival Fringe smash hit, Ransom's recent remount of the
show played at Belfast Opera House to 1200 people a night. O'Riordan
has also directed at the Lyric in Belfast, and the Theatre Royal in
Bath. For the last two months, however, O'Riordan has been keeping a
very low profile.

“I've been living like some cloistered nun until the season finished,”
she gushes, able at last to meet and greet the media. “But it's a big
appointment for Horsecross. This is the first time there's been a full
time artistic director for many years, and I'm starting a journey here.
I'm not saying Perth will ever be the right place to do The Gentlemen's
Tea-Drinking Society, but we are building a new studio, where we'll be
working with younger artist to do work of that kind. For me, the
important thing is that there needs to be a space to take risks in any
theatre, and we're halfway there to making that happen. I think that's
part of the reason I was appointed, to have that of vision, where I'm
comfortable in directing plays from the classic canon on the main
stage, but where I'm not scared of working with new writers and
bringing them on. I'd heard of Perth Rep, but I was more interested in
where the place is going. That's what's exciting.”

O'Riordan's opening production for her inaugural autumn season will be
Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. With Andrew Panton taking the helm of
Christmas show, Jack and The Beanstalk, February 2012 will see
O'Riordan direct Someone Who'll Watch Over Me, Frank McGuinness's
dramatisation of Brian Keenan's four year incarceration as a hostage in
Beirut, where he and fellow prisoner John McCarthy were in the main
kept blindfolded by their Islamic Jihad captors. Light relief will come
in March in the form of Moonlight and Magnolias, Ron Hutchinson's comic
reimagining of how Gone With The Wind producer David O Selznick and
director Victor Fleming brought in script doctor Ben Hecht to breathe
some life into what was shaping up to be the greatest turkey ever made.
Riordan's own appointment, however, suggests the play itself shouldn't
suffer the same fate.

While all three plays look on paper at least solidly commercial
products ripe for the sort of stylistic reinvention O'Riordan is more
than well versed in, what, one wonders, first attracted her to the
Perth job? Because, while steeped in its own colourful history, the
theatre's geographical position outwith the central belt runs the risk
of leaving ambitious incomers like O'Riordan out of the country's
creative loop. Not, it seems, if O'Riordan has her way.

“I'm all about partnershops,” she says, “both in this role and in
Ransom. We co-produced with big players like Paines Plough and Soho
Theatre, and I'm confident we can bring that co-producing ethos here,
both with companies in Scotland and beyond. I'm already having talks
with the Lyric, Belfast, and I would hope we can work with the likes of
the National Theatre of Scotland, or the Traverse or the Citizens or
the Tron. For the next few months I'm just going to get out there, see
as much work as possible, and meet everyone.”

Cork born O'Riordan began her career as a dancer. After training at the
Royal Ballet School, she also worked as a choreographer. These skills
were utilised on the physically driven Hurricane, which was,
remarkably, the first professional stage play she she'd ever directed.
As calling cards go, it was pretty spectacular. During the production's
London run, word of mouth attracted no less a personage than Sir Peter
Hall to see what all the fuss was about. Hall wrote to O'Riordan, and
offered her Miss Julie, with Andrea Riseborough playing the lead.

In the intervening eight years, O'Riordan has notched up a large and
impressive body of work, including the Glass Menagerie at the Lyric,
Belfast and Grimm Tales at Manchester's Library Theatre. She has
umpteen awards nominations, and in 2010 scooped Best Director award for
Absolution in the First Irish Theatre Awards in New York.

“For me it feels like I've been doing it forever,” O'Riordan admits,
“but looking at other people's career paths I know that's not true. I'd
never directed until I was twenty-eight or twenty-nine, so once I
started I thought I'd better crack on. But I wasn't in the system. I'd
never assistant directed or gone to Cambridge, so I suppose I just did
my own thing and made my own path. I started with instinct and took it
from there.”

As well as Hurricane and The Gentlemen's Tea-Drinking Society, other
work by O'Riordan seen in Scotland includes Protestants, and the Irish
famine-based This Piece of Earth. More recently, O'Riordan directed
Arguments For Terrorism at Oran Mor. Ransom also appointed actor/writer
David Ireland, who has worked extensively in Scotland, as writer in
residence. While O'Riordan will step down from the helm of Ransom now
she's in Perth, she will remain on its advisory board.

“I began Ransom when I was thirty,” she says, “and I think it would be
a shame if the company closed just because I left, but there comes a
time when you have to move on and let someone else take over and put a
brand new sense of energy into it.”

This is a notion that could equally apply to O'Riordan's own arrival in
Perth. Again she points to the theatre's refurbishment as a bold new
start for the theatre. What, though, does O'Riordan think the regular
Perth audience will make of her?

“That's the big question,” she says, “but in a way it doesn't matter
what they think of me. What matters is what they think of what I make.
My ambition is to make friends with the audience in a robust way where
you can have a laugh with them, but you can also tell each other the
truth. That's the kind of relationship I want here, and the first
season is a step towards that. I don't ever think I know better than my
audience. I'm passionate about the relationship between an actor and an
audience. That dynamic never stops fascinating me, and if I'm not
masking that bridge, then I'm not doing my job probably. It can't just
be about my artistic vision. The audience has to trust you, but just as
importantly, we have to trust our audience.”


More details of Perth Theatre's 2011/12 season will be announced
shortly. Twelfth Night runs from September 28th-October 15th.
www.horsecross.co.uk

The Herald, April 5th 2011

ends

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ron Butlin - The Sound of My Voice

When Ron Butlin saw a man who’d just asked him the time throw himself under a train on the Paris Metro, it was a turning point in how his 1987 novel, The Sound Of My Voice, would turn out. Twenty years on, Butlin’s tale of suburban family man Morris Magellan’s existential crisis and his subsequent slide into alcoholism is regarded as a lost classic. Prime material, then, for the very intimate stage adaptation which opens in the Citizens Theatre’s tiny Stalls Studio tonight. “I had this friend in London who was an alcoholic,” Butlin recalls. “He would go off to work in the civil service in the morning looking absolutely immaculate. Then at night we’d meet, and he’s get mega-blootered, then go home and continue drinking and end up in a really bad state. I remember staying over one night, and he’d emerge from his room looking immaculate again. There was this huge contrast between what was going on outside and what was going on inside.” We’re sitting in a café on Edinburgh’s south sid

Losing Touch With My Mind - Psychedelia in Britain 1986-1990

DISC 1 1. THE STONE ROSES   -  Don’t Stop 2. SPACEMEN 3   -  Losing Touch With My Mind (Demo) 3. THE MODERN ART   -  Mind Train 4. 14 ICED BEARS   -  Mother Sleep 5. RED CHAIR FADEAWAY  -  Myra 6. BIFF BANG POW!   -  Five Minutes In The Life Of Greenwood Goulding 7. THE STAIRS  -  I Remember A Day 8. THE PRISONERS  -  In From The Cold 9. THE TELESCOPES   -  Everso 10. THE SEERS   -  Psych Out 11. MAGIC MUSHROOM BAND  -  You Can Be My L-S-D 12. THE HONEY SMUGGLERS  - Smokey Ice-Cream 13. THE MOONFLOWERS  -  We Dig Your Earth 14. THE SUGAR BATTLE   -  Colliding Minds 15. GOL GAPPAS   -  Albert Parker 16. PAUL ROLAND  -  In The Opium Den 17. THE THANES  -  Days Go Slowly By 18. THEE HYPNOTICS   -  Justice In Freedom (12" Version) 1. THE STONE ROSES    Don’t Stop ( Silvertone   ORE   1989) The trip didn’t quite start here for what sounds like Waterfall played backwards on The Stone Roses’ era-defining eponymous debut album, but it sounds

Big Gold Dreams – A Story of Scottish Independent Music 1977-1989

Disc 1 1. THE REZILLOS (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures (12/77)  2. THE EXILE Hooked On You (8/77) 3. DRIVE Jerkin’ (8/77) 4. VALVES Robot Love (9/77) 5. P.V.C. 2 Put You In The Picture (10/77) 6. JOHNNY & THE SELF ABUSERS Dead Vandals (11/77) 7. BEE BEE CEE You Gotta Know Girl (11/77) 8. SUBS Gimme Your Heart (2/78) 9. SKIDS Reasons (No Bad NB 1, 4/78) 10. FINGERPRINTZ Dancing With Myself (1/79)  11. THE ZIPS Take Me Down (4/79) 12. ANOTHER PRETTY FACE All The Boys Love Carrie (5/79)  13. VISITORS Electric Heat (5/79) 14. JOLT See Saw (6/79) 15. SIMPLE MINDS Chelsea Girl (6/79) 16. SHAKE Culture Shock (7/79) 17. HEADBOYS The Shape Of Things To Come (7/79) 18. FIRE EXIT Time Wall (8/79) 19. FREEZE Paranoia (9/79) 20. FAKES Sylvia Clarke (9/79) 21. TPI She’s Too Clever For Me (10/79) 22. FUN 4 Singing In The Showers (11/79) 23. FLOWERS Confessions (12/79) 24. TV21 Playing With Fire (4/80) 25. ALEX FERGUSSON Stay With Me Tonight (1980) 1. THE REZILL